Bike It Now! 12 Hour Naseby Challenge 2021
Bike It Now! Specialized and Mountain Biking Otago have got together to bring you the 17th annual Naseby 12 Hour Day/Night Challenge. We have designed a loop of approximately 10km that will suit all levels of riders. The loop is made up of water race, single track and 4WD tracks within the Naseby Forest and Larchview Holiday Park. Classes will include solo, teams, junior, school challenge, senior, veterans, men and women, mixed, mixed veteran, masters, corporate and single speed solo. This year there will also be eBike categories for the first time.
12 hour events are real social occasions. A tent village is set up with the track meandering its way through and past your allocated 5m x 10m site. The idea is over the 12 hour period you ride as many laps of the course as you are able or want to, obviously the individual or team who complete the most laps are the winners. So grab your mates and send in your entry early, as this year numbers of solo and teams will be limited.
Entries will be accepted on a first in and first paid basis.
The event is based at the Larchview Holiday Park which is within the town of Naseby and is
adjacent to the Ernslaw One owned Naseby Forest. The10km loop will start and finish within
the camp. For those of you who are not familiar with Naseby, it is situated near Ranfurly,
Central Otago, and 9km off State Highway 85.
How You Get There
Naseby is 1.5 hours drive from Dunedin and 1 hour from Alexandra. The Larchview Holiday
Park is on Swimming Dam Road (see map on MBO website).
If you wish you can camp on your team site (Saturday night only is included in your entry fee).
Your team site gets you access to showers, toilets and a kitchen. Larchview Holiday Park
also offers cabins and chalets, on-site caravans, and 2 x self contained houses. Booking
early for this option would probably be a good idea, call 03 444 9904 or email email@example.com
“Track and campsites are available from 1.00pm on Friday (Gate closed till then – no
exceptions). If you wish to camp on your site Friday night or set up for Saturday, you must
pay at the office prior to coming to registration”.
“Solo riders will be required to share a site with other solo riders or a team”.
Naseby has some other accommodation options, Royal Hotel (03 444 9990); Naseby Trail Lodge (03 445 3118) or Air BnB/Bookabach.
Entries Close: 25 October 2021
(Unless entries reach race entry limit prior to this date)
Race Day: Saturday 30th of October 2021 (assuming Level 1)
Registration: (At the MBO Marquee in the Larchview Holiday Park)
2pm – 9pm Friday (Gates to camp will be closed till 1pm)
7am –8am Saturday (12Hr only), 1pm-2pm (6Hr only)
Briefing: Approximately 8.45am Saturday for 12Hr, and 2:45pm for 6Hr – all riders must attend.
12Hr Start: 9:00am – Mass start (Le Mans), 6Hr Start: 3pm – Mass Start
Finish: 9:00pm Saturday
Prize Giving: Approximately 9:15pm or as soon after race finish as possible
Medals & Prize Money
Solo Category: Medals 1st, 2nd, 3rd plus $100 prize money for 1st in men and women
Teams: Medals 1st, 2nd, 3rd plus $100 prize money for 1st only.
Spot Prizes: Many spot prizes will be handed out during the race, however the main spot
prizes will be given out at the prize giving (you must be in attendance to receive a prize).
Prizes also awarded for the best dressed team or competitor, fastest rider and fastest junior rider.
“What to Bring” Checklist
• Tent/Camper van to go on your team site.
• Mountain bike, helmet (compulsory item), we also recommend gloves and glasses, spare tubes, tyres and tools.
• Lights – you will need good front and rear lights for the last part of the event (at least 4 hours minimum). Please ensure that your lights are charged up before the race as we are not able to provide power for charging up during the race. (You will not be allowed on the course after dark without front and rear lights).
• Food and drink (there will be hot food and drink available on site to purchase). Espresso coffee will be available on site from 3pm Friday.
• Warm clothing (you will be 2000 feet above worry level – it can sometimes get cold !!!). Folding chairs, blankets and heaters are nice to have (NO open fires allowed)
• Support Crew– it is advisable to bring a support crew for plenty of encouragement and abuse!
Good Stuff to Know
Team sites will be allocated at registration. If you want to be with your mates; then you
should register together. Sites will be approximately 5m x 10m in size (all vehicles must be
parked on site by 8:00am. You will be able to park one vehicle as well as your tent / camper
Race packs will be available at registration (which will include race numbers and the race
rules). Sunset is approximately 7:20pm so you will need your lights from 7:00pm onward.
First Aid – Red Cross will be onsite throughout the 12 hours of the race. Based at the start
line in the camp
Foot – Hot and cold food for purchase on site, coffee and company.
Confirmed Entry – Your entry will be confirmed and posted on the Mountain Bike Otago
website on or before 25 Oct 2021. Website will be updated weekly, as we are able.
More information re conditions of race – please refer to back here
Emersons 12Hr Solo Men & Vet Men
Emersons 12Hr Solo Women & Vet Women
Emersons 12Hr Single–Speed Solo Men & Women
Emersons 6Hr Solo Men & Women
Emersons 6Hr Solo Junior Women & Junior Men (U18)
Emersons eBike 6Hr Solo
Rabbit Ranch Men Open Team
Rabbit Ranch Women Open Team
Nidd Realty Mixed Team
CamelBak Junior 12–17 years Team (incorporating Schools Trophy)
Shimano Veteran Team
Design Windows Dunedin Veteran Mixed Team
Design Windows Cromwell Masters Team
Adventure Outfitters Family Team
Logic Group Corporate Team
Specialized Turbo eBike Team
Teams consist of 2-5 members. Retro riding kit is the theme this year. 6Hr Solo categories added this year
• Mixed or Vet-Mixed Team of 5; then must be 2 women
• Mixed or Vet-Mixed Team 3 or 4 person team; then 1 women
• Vet Team age groups are 35+ women, 40+ men. All members must comply or enter an Open Category.
• Masters Team age group is 50+ women & men. All members must comply or enter an Open/Vet Category.
• Junior Team category also includes a trophy for School Teams. All members must be at the same school and need to include the school name in their entry.
• Family team consists of related members of a family
• Corporate Team members must be same workplace(or spouse/partner of same)
Race Rules can be downloaded here – Race Rules.pdf
Entry Fee: $90.00 per 12Hr rider ($60 per 12Hr junior U18), $70 for all 6Hr categories
Entry not confirmed till payment received.
“All Competitors must read and acknowledge waiver, and sign a registration to receive your race number”.
Refund policy – full refund until 31 Sept, 50% refund until 18 Oct. No refund after 20 Oct. (Refunds are 1minus Paypal/CC transaction costs)
ONLINE ENTRIES ONLY, FROM 1ST JULY 2021 at 9PM
Many thanks to forest owner ERNSLAW ONE for allowing access to the Naseby Forest
for this event.
Participants are requested to comply at all times with any instructions regarding fire bans and forest access. See notices at the main entrance or view their website www.ernslawone.co.nz and check the fire status before you travel.
For Further Information please contact the Race Director Craig Bates 0274 894361
For questions relating to entries; please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
RESULTS: 2021 Naseby 12Hr
Results will be posted here and on MBO Facebook
The Naseby 12hr Challenge is organised and run by volunteers from Mountain Biking Otago. The profits from the event go into developing mountain bike tracks in the Otago area, and also support various Naseby community organisations.
Recent trail projects include:
• Big Easy Down Track, Signal Hill
• Nicols Switchback track extension
• Logan Park carpark and access road
• Butt Track at Signal Hill (beginner grade).
• Naseby trail restoration (following logging)
• Wakari Creek trails. 9km of all-weather trails off Wakari Rd above Ross Creek (beginner grade).
• Big Easy Climbing track, Signal Hill
Feedback from the event is welcomed. Please email it to email@example.com